Saturday, March 25, 2006

Dozing in Prayer Meetngs

I know in my head that prayer for world missions is of critical importance. Jesus commanded us to pray to the Lord of the harvest for workers, and the first missionary journey began with prayer. While I don’t fully understand the theology of prayer, I know from experience that God answers prayer. I suspect that I’ll be embarrassed for praying so little when I get to heaven and finally figure out why prayer is so important.

But if prayer is biblical, urgent and important, why does my mind wander during my personal prayer time and why do I become sleepy in missionary prayer meetings? As a new missionary serving in Nigeria the most difficult part of the day was not Hausa language study but staying awake in afternoon prayers. The heat was unbearable and I was still waking up from a much needed nap. We prayed for people I didn’t know who lived in places I couldn’t pronounce. But I knew I would get in trouble with the District Superintendent if I missed afternoon prayers.

If prayer is a ladder between two worlds, a breath of heavenly air, and a telephone to the King, why do I doze in prayer meetings?

Strong faith leads to fervent and consistent prayer, while weak faith results in a guilt-motivated duty of going through the motions of prayer. I suspect that we neglect prayer when our eyes of faith have become near-sighted. Could it be that our prayers are weak because our faith is anemic?

Maybe the heart of the problem is that we don’t realize we are at war. The Church is fighting in two wars – an earthly war, and a heavenly war. We struggle on two battle fronts – the struggle we experience in this world and the unseen conflict between forces of evil and the armies of God. Prayer is the emergency phone call from weary and wounded soldiers calling the heavenly King for instructions, comfort, and reinforcements. Prayer is battle communication between two worlds.

Suggestions:

Missionaries, when you write prayer letters, include highlighted prayer requests and be sure to report on answers to prayer. Too often prayer letters tell about family news and exotic experiences but overlook the central role of stimulating people to pray.

Pastors and Church Mission Committees, ask yourselves if there is more you could do to stimulate fervent prayer for missionaries. Are there ways that you could encourage informed prayer in small groups, Sunday School classes, the Sunday morning worship service, and in elder and deacon meetings?

Christian, pray daily for missionaries. Consider using your computer to remind you to pray for missionaries each week. I divide the missionaries into seven groups and pray for one group each day of the week. Or use an old-fashioned note book to keep track of needs and answers to prayer. When you receive a prayer letter, update requests and praise the Lord for answered prayer.

For reasons we don’t understand, the sacrificial going and making disciples of all nations will not succeed without faithfulness in prayer. Can you imagine the impact that prayer could have on the world? Through eyes of faith, picture hundreds of millions of people who live in darkness finding the Light of the world. Picture churches around the world becoming salt and light in decaying societies. Prayer is God’s crucial tool for changing the world.

When you are tempted to doze in missionary prayer meetings remember that your prayers have a powerful influence on what is happening half way around the world; and amazingly, they also influence supernatural powers before the throne of grace.

1 comment:

  1. The other night, an idea popped into my head for a prayer meeting that might keep everyone awake and interested: prayer for our enemies. One of the few things Christ said specifically to pray for, but often the last thing we think of.

    ReplyDelete